Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Tiberian Odyssey - Your Input.
Moderators: Tiberian Odyssey Active Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 8 [376 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Morpher
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:  Tiberian Odyssey - Your Input.
Subject description: Community suggestions, ideas and improvements.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lot of you may be thinking TS modding is dead, and that TO has slowly sunk away into nothingness. Well I would like to reassure everyone that this is not true, there is still a fair bit of activity around the TO department, but it's time to get Tiberian Odyssey and Community relations healthy and active again, so I will be answering to any posts and questions that arise in this topic.

The idea of this thread is for the community to be able to share their thoughts and desires for Tiberian Odyssey, we want you to share your ideas about what you like about the mod and also what you don't like and why. Most importantly we want you to offer suggestions and improvements over what you have already seen and let us know what you think would make Tiberian Odyssey great. I would advise that you look at the available content in this forum before making any suggestions and posts, I will stress right away that any post which is offtopic, or useless will be removed straight away.

Fire away, and stay tuned on Tiberian Odyssey FM Smile. - Morpher.

Last edited by Morpher on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like, the worst question ever - alpha release. Whem would such a thing be plausible?

And could you show some progress bars at least? Like IcySon55 did with TAKTICS.

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will show some maps for you in the close future (less than a month most likely) Keep checking there, and you will probably see some Smile

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anything other then maps? Rolling Eyes I don't care much about maps, playing on Grand Canyon is fine TBH...I'd just like to play TS differently

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, we have been working on other things than maps, thankfully, however for all of the Tiberian Odyssey Staff we have been going through rough periods, I can say me and a lot of other staff members have been experiencing a few personal problems and other issues slowing down the mod. There is a lot of stuff we could show you, but it's better if we can group it all into a good presentable post rather than me leaving a few scattered images.

And regarding an alpha release, with current issues an alpha release is a definite no, the mod is relatively stable but there are some key components missing to make a release to the public plausible, some people may say they don't mind this but I can guarantee there would be disappointment and a lot of confusion of we released an alpha. All I can really say is you will definitely be getting some updates soon and I am planning on showing some old concepts that we never used in Tiberian Odyssey, to at least let you know we have been working hard.

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to know if you have taken some of Adam Isgreen's released information in account when making story decisions. There's some things that wouldn't make sense with the updated information. I also suggest the possibility to discard Renegade from canon, since it feels like a retcon. I could show some examples in story if you wish.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Story is why TO exists!

You could say that we discard everything except TD from the canon. TO is just how we think TS should look like. Some Units or Buildings might have some similarities with TW-buildings, but theyll only be of a slight nature and then even only because we felt the same way as some, few, EA-designer may have felt. Something nearly everybody in the staff has in common: We dont like how TW3 looks like, how it feels and how it is played.

To make it short: TO wont be conform with anything else then Tiberian Dawn. There are alot things that do not fit to others. When EA overtook the TD-storyline it scrambled some things up for the sake of modern science and a world that theid imagined to be more creepy...

We want to fix that...

yup, neptune size!

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you've got the story all wrong Audio #Tongue

Is anyone interested in untraditional slideshow cutscenes with a little bit of animation to them? A new way of storytelling for modders. #Tongue

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When EA took over the TD storyline? wtf. That makes no sense. EA never changed C&C 1 or C&C 2's stories...

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is this C&C2 you speak off?

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vOi!king ship wrote:
What is this C&C2 you speak off?

does tiberian sun ring any bells?

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mei Ling wrote:
When EA took over the TD storyline? wtf. That makes no sense. EA never changed C&C 1 or C&C 2's stories...

Their summary for TD was full of factual errors back in the C&C3's development run, so I thought it was more about their lousy writing skills than any intentional change about the previous storyline. GDI was formed by the G7 nations in 1995 to contain Tiberium?? WTF?!

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is an error, but its nothing to ztyping get anal about. G7 is a financial group...but atleast they cut out the Red Alert mess. It's not like EA said that GDI was founded by the purple stuffed worm in flap jack space with the tuning fork on hari-kari rock.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea ok Carno, no more Metal Gear quotes please... xD

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Need Scissors!! 61!

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. "I got the story all wrong?" - what do you mean, pepzi?

2. CNC wouldve gone a different way if EA wouldnt have been involved with it and later on even taken over the whole thing. Also - by stating about the "TD-storyline", I mean the Stories for ALL CnC-games regarding to the Tiberium-incident @ earth. EA couldnt ever touch the TD-story, maybe didnt change TS - but it surely changed TW! Ive seen early concepts showing some scrin - they werent just humanoid, they looked even like human just with some more veird Skin-color and some slight Anatomy-differences.

3. Were getting heavily Offtopic!

yup, neptune size!

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scrin looking humanoid? Which version are you talking about? Because that Annihilator Tripod sure as hell doesn't look humanoid, and the WW scrin concept looked quiet like a HALO covenant.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

those scrin stuff in TW is supposed to be vehicle stuff, and tanks of those aliens, i'm sure there's a basic form of that race.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK, all scrin units in TW are biomechanical constructs. but anyways now we're going really offtopic.

To be ontopic, also sorry for not being a suggestion, but instead a question. Which new mechanics have been included in TO?. Since more than new unit/buildings, or changes, the new mechanics are what makes a mod really unique #Tongue.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to guess by mechanics you mean game play changes or fancy mod features and fancy coding?

I'm not revealing anything about fancy coding techniques and etc, I have tried a lot of unique coding "things" in the hope of trying to achieve interesting effects and etc, some succeed, some fail. Coding wise however TO uses the most it can of the TS engine, which a lot more than people think. Small examples are things such as proper explosions, leaving fire and smoke while hurling debris, all of which will affect the surrounding objects either it be fire burning or debris smashing into things. The game will be more exciting, we're incorporating this kind of thinking and use of game mechanics into as much as possible.

What separates TO from TS and possibly other mods is the amount of work put into making each side play uniquely yet still balanced. Nod really does play as a stealthy faction, you WILL nearly always use stealth attacks and hit and run and as G.D.I you will play much more to their strengths as an organized military and precision based force, you will probably be using a fleet of Orca's more naturally than a ground force.

A lot of mods try to be unique or appealing by adding an extra side or replacing the existing. Rather than new sides TO improves and adds upon the two existing and has "semi sides" for you to play with. Examples are, we are not adding a CABAL or Mutant side, however capturing a CABAL Core (once you have a technology center) will allow you to use CABAL's forces in conjunction with the side your already playing as and the same applies for other semi factions such as civilian, mutants, higher grade GDI and Nod and etc. This also ties in with user interaction with the battlefield. I personally found TS's battlefields very dull, I never got a kick out of demolishing towns or the local scenery as they added nothing to gameplay. To make the game more interesting there is more interaction with, for example civilian towns / cities. Cities will always provide something for you, whether it be additional funds through acquiring banks, to extra sensor systems through using arrays, capturing training facilities and other buildings such as production factories. We can guarantee that you will have a use and desire to control cities to use them as secondary production bases and obtain specialized goodies to give you the upper hand, and there is a good chance cities and towns will change hands of players often. As well as coding based features there will be extensive trigger work make urban areas seem more interesting or affected by your actions.

Moving away from urban based features comes the battlefield itself. Each map will be played in a specific area of the world. There will be few to no maps which contain a city, massive tiberium fields, wastelands and etc all in one. Maps will be specific areas, so if your playing in a barren desert, expect barren desert... If your playing in juicy Tiberium infected jungle areas then expect to be planning your way around toxic jungles and sinking tiberium sludge ground... Basically the map will affect entirely how you play and which units you will be choosing to use, which will make their purposes different and perhaps more or less valuable in different maps.

Finally the last thing I can think of which TO is "sort of" the first mod to introduce is Game Modes. Game Modes are currently being redesigned from what you previously have seen, as I prefer less game modes but with more maps to focus them on. I won't reveal too much, but you will have your standard playing maps and then your alternative modes such as campaign based skirmish maps (very fun) where you have objectives to fulfill or capturing based maps where your technology and production lies in entirely in what you obtain yourself and then the basic but still very fun infantry wars.

There is much more to say but these are small and very brief examples of some of the work that has already been done and is being continued on now which is what we think makes this mod stand out a little.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes you got what I meant. And thanks it was good to know Very Happy

omega380
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't now if is here or not but i will say. I have a idea for a nod unit, the Shadow of Kane, a sthealt unit, it's weapon is a tiberiun crystal launcher, that does deadly damage to infantry and some damage to light vehicles.[/img][/url]

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well if you want ot make a mod with that unit, you're free to do so #Tongue

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think they already have the infantry thought out. Smile

But like Team Black said, your welcome to make your own mod.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ideas are always welcome - and it may be possible, that we lack of a specific unit, or could find some space for additional units anyways Wink

yup, neptune size!

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nazi Mechs too much to ask for?

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a healthy amount of tanks would be quite nice ^_^

PS: Nice to see TO still standing, goodluck on the mod once again Morpher, same goes for the rest of you hard workers *points and laughs at Audiopulse* #Tongue

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sane? :O

Where have you been?

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have been.... incapacitated to say the least. nice to see you again too Hyper Very Happy

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, but your staying this time? Because i need your help xD

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sane, come home now, darn, Suppers ready xO

Wink

As Hyper says, we could need a helping hand #Tongue

yup, neptune size!

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberium Fauna/Flora:

Tiberium Plantom - Plant with an insect head that attacks you.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberium Plantom?..o__o. wth? sounds like a bad 50's sci-fi monster.

Needs more development. :3 Concept art, bio/lifecycle etc.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Idea isnt bad - but I personally dislike the insect-touch. But how about plants vomiting at infantry passing by? Very Happy

No - seriously. Plants spitting acid-like Tiberiumjuice. Not too harmfull against vehicles, but a serious thread for infantry. Why not?

yup, neptune size!

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe, well I posted that idea just for the hell of it. It got stuck in my mind from the fascination of a certain conspiracy or fiction. It really doesn't fit in the C&C series very well, and more on a prehistoric era like the dinosaur age.

Edit: I'm not very serious about the said suggestion, sorry for the spammy.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nah its ok gives us something to talk about. anyways the whole carnivorius plant is over done.

I mean theres alot more interesting creatures to look at..like scabies mites, and giant blue earth worms..

sea anemones, urchins,...brittle stars..sea slugs..etc

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was no spam at all and I thank you for supportung us by your Idea.
Even silly Ideas may be helpfull

yup, neptune size!

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Venom spitting plants make no sense at all from a biological standpoint. Why is it spitting up on the soldier? That is silly.

A man eating plant on the other hand makes sense. But having a carnivore that is entirely immobile yet can kill things at long distance and not be able to walk over to its kill. Unless it is used as a defensive mechanism, but then people will simply not shoot it.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whats wrong with a kind of plant or vegetation which attracts its prey to it such like a venus fly trap or picture plant? Soldiers might not know they've wondered into some trap and the method of killing might be different from a simple closing up a hole.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Morpher wrote:
Whats wrong with a kind of plant or vegetation which attracts its prey to it such like a venus fly trap or picture plant? Soldiers might not know they've wondered into some trap and the method of killing might be different from a simple closing up a hole.

What stops the soldier for shooting his way out?

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plant juice that incapacitates, causes paralysis and loss of consciousness I presume?

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the Venus fly trap concept is just overused, there are other stationary organisms that can be used to create more interesting concepts. tis all.

Pitcher plants. though are not as popular or iconic as VFT's, I've suggested sundews before

..but again from a design standpoint you so much bio-diversity out there that would make an interesting design than using something that has been already done.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ickus wrote:
the Venus fly trap concept is just overused, there are other stationary organisms that can be used to create more interesting concepts. tis all.

Pitcher plants. though are not as popular or iconic as VFT's, I've suggested sundews before

..but again from a design standpoint you so much bio-diversity out there that would make an interesting design than using something that has been already done.

What about something like Half-Life's tentacle? It hits around the area as it's idle animation, and will beat all incomings objects into pulp...

Paranoia
Cyborg Specialist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
brittle stars

Now theres an idea. I looked under this rock one day and there were four just wriggling around. No doubt the strangest creature i have ever seen in person.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mei Ling wrote:
Venom spitting plants make no sense at all from a biological standpoint. Why is it spitting up on the soldier? That is silly.

A man eating plant on the other hand makes sense. But having a carnivore that is entirely immobile yet can kill things at long distance and not be able to walk over to its kill. Unless it is used as a defensive mechanism, but then people will simply not shoot it.

No - please - not again...

Biological standpoint? Were talking about creepy crystals emitting micro-shards which are able to grow on everything, as long as it is not fluid. Even metal or organic bodies! Does that make any sense?

I just dont like to be called silly out of reasons that do not look any better in turn. Flesheating plants in a size like that? Without any muscles it would be quite a thing to move a mouth, that could swallow a human beeing! Away from that there are already a really lot of plants, spitting their semen around. They are not fluent in any way, but whos predicting to be picky? Since these plants are mutations there should be alot possible.

Also about the marines walking blindly into those traps, if ordered. Yeah. Logical fail - but isnt it just the same as the veins? Even Harvester drive through the fields on their everyday-drive to their current Tiberium-patch. Away from that I imagined the plants to look very similar to other ones - the Tiberiumshard-spitting ones could be finally matured versions of the ones weve already seen in TS - since TO is supposed to play AFTER TS, that would make even sense, if you look up the evolution of the Tiberium-fauna. Even FS contained already a few new specimen.
Tiberium evolves very quickly...

Ah - and the idea about the spitting plants doesnt prequerisite them to really spit acidlike fluids. I could imagine some plants just poofing out tiberium-gas. Like some shrooms...

yup, neptune size!

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea. how about mold overlay set..I got the idea after stumbling upon moldy bran muffins..noticing their arrangement..

Also reminds me of that weird show/movie about some hillbilly finding a meteorite and it grows this fine green grass/thread-like growth..like mold. ..it keeps growing on everything..eventually covering him.

Acting like a dummy tiberium set. with high power level but low value. To entice harvesters into..traps?

Or adding in tiberian ore and or gems is that even possible?

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audiopulse wrote:
I could imagine some plants just poofing out tiberium-gas. Like some shrooms...

Tiberium puffballs? Ouch. You could create a tile of them in small clusters, this way players have to tactically follow where their infantry are running, or else they could easily go past tiberium puffballs.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why doesn't anyone likes my tentacle idea?

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, gufu your idea is not bad but..its been done by every other game as well as you mentioned..I ment to comment on that.

The tentacle can be animating terrain object..however it it was to attack it would have to be some sort of structure. armed with a dummy laser that will charge the tentacle to play it curling up as it attacks the player.however it is limited to where it can hit. unable to animate beyond its foundation.

However a solution is the tentacle has some sort of gland that releases poison or produces sound waves that damaged the target like these shrimps.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/10/1003_SnappingShrimp.html

It can also have the option of hurling this tentacle into the ground like a sunken colony from StarCraft or death mauler from Diablo2:LoD.

Aye, puffballs.. pretty much organic mines..anyone play Fable, remember those mushroom spores in Darkwood..

. I like that idea of a stationary gasser, where it constantly emits short lived gas. a group of these would be great for tiberium sinkholes...could be maybe modeled after stinkplants and carrion flowers. :3

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also a good idea - creating deathholes where only armoured units will be able to pass. Infantry wouldnt be able to survive that trip. Nice idea.

yup, neptune size!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 8 [376 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon