Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Making a RTS
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [133 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject:  Making a RTS
Subject description: Want suggestions UPDATE - IT IS NOW NAMED "Project"
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, everyone. I am currently making a moddable RTS, much like the command and conquer games, from scratch.
But, what do you think is essential to a RTS, and what do you think is a good feature in a RTS? Is there anything you've always wanted in a C&C game? Please, tell me.

EDIT: Update - It is now named "Project"

Last edited by Rayne on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, RTS is a game. That means it is supposed to have SOME kind of engine first. Then it all comes to creativity.

need my speed
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah...You do know how to make an engine etc right? As I seriously doubt that...

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm making the engine, and I need suggestions.
If you for example will suggest maybe unlimited weapons, which it will support, I might implement it but not have it in the game released.
I just need suggestions.

EDIT: Just to prove need my speed wrong, I'll work as much as possible on this. >:|

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a forum for modding.

If you wanna do enquiries for game developement, you need to go to a higher-level place.

http://www.gamedev.net/

The white lady~!

need my speed
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rayne wrote:
I'm making the engine, and I need suggestions.
If you for example will suggest maybe unlimited weapons, which it will support, I might implement it but not have it in the game released.
I just need suggestions.

EDIT: Just to prove need my speed wrong, I'll work as much as possible on this. >Neutral

Hehe, well, best of luck then. #Tongue But I expect a full working RTS for free next month, ok? #Tongue

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valdez, I don't think it actually matters, he's just asking for suggestions #Tongue

but yea, going to a higher level place would get you more information.

And...

Questions:

Will the engine be 3D?

Will the engine be open source?

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It will not be 3D in any way, and not be open source. It will, as I've already stated, be very moddable.
I plan to be able to fix bugs and add extra things after released.

I do NOT plan on being done next month, but if everyone's lucky it'll be free.

I'll check out that website.

I would really like some suggestions, and feel free to ask questions.

VV
http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25048

need my speed
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was a joke, that with next month. #Tongue

Well, moddable depends on the engine (see RA2 etc). If you make the engine moddable, you might as well make it open source.

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But I don't want it to be open source, and I understood that it were a joke.
I really don't think I'll make it open source...

Oh, and it's not isometric.

If you suggest something there a very big chance it will feature it, unless it's too big of a feature/change. ADDITIONS will have greater chances of being featured.

If my englise no god, plis no balme mi, mi kan nut speech amerikan.

VV

Last edited by Rayne on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea, you might as well make it open source, really #Tongue

And also, I'd like to ask about this engine's special and unique features, well, by all means, please post all the good features Very Happy

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Units will be able to have infinite weapons.
Units will also have (infinite) equipments.
Equipments might be for example a shield, it might heal the user, it might be a jet-pack, it might be a spotligt/flashlight, it might be a silencer, it might be a cloaking device, it might be a radar jammer, it might be a sensor, it might be binoculars, it might be a teleporting device, it might be able to call in meteor storms, it might be an EMPulse device, it might be a GIANT PIG. Or no, it can't be a giant pig.
It might feature upgradable units.
It WILL feature very moddable AI.
It WILL feature extra sides/countries and similar.
It WILL feature some suggestions you suggest.

VV

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Open source would be more useful, however you could include a feature where other programmers can create some additional code which the game can use and add to its own. This would mean that your engine would be almost limitless, despite not being open source and if anyone wants any special weapons with funky effects they can do them.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, that sounds good!

I've currently posted this thread on 3 forums, including this and GameDev, and this one got the most posts, but another got the most suggestions.

VV

need my speed
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know what you should put in...

Do you know the Dawn of War army painter? Well, that, but even better. In game customizable logos, all possible colors, and for the real professional editors, something like an ingame Photoshop where you can paint everything, add a line here, add a cigaret in its mouth, etc. You could even change the whole model!

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have lots of ideas, but I'm keeping them to myself...

*tyrannosaur growl*
Don't you dare take my ideas...

*stomps away in a dinosaurian way*

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As all the sprites will, for the ultimate modding experience, be in a folder, you can change it. But I might make them recolourable.

So that will be very hard to make ingame, but I'll make them recolourable. (You'll be able to select ANY color)

HEY! Give me those ideas! *hunts Ixonoclast*

VV

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rayne wrote:
HEY! Give me those ideas! *hunts Ixonoclast*

Go play Below The Sun when it's finished and behold the future of RTS gaming.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or give me the ideas now and your life will be spared!

VV

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait, not isometric and not 3D? What can we expect then? A top-down RTS? Neutral

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no, it's not top down, but it functions similar to one.
if you converted maybe c&c tiberian sun to non-isometric, the only images that would need to be changed would be the buildings.

EDIT: example

VV

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see, so more TD/RA1 style?

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something good which could be added:Infinite pallete.This would be awesome,even if Ares has this too. #Tongue

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, TD/RS1 style.

VV

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

need my speed wrote:
You know what you should put in...

Do you know the Dawn of War army painter? Well, that, but even better. In game customizable logos, all possible colors, and for the real professional editors, something like an ingame Photoshop where you can paint everything, add a line here, add a cigaret in its mouth, etc. You could even change the whole model!

I dunno, the more customizable you try to make something, the more harder and cumbersome you find it is. Look at DOW II, it wasn't really that customizable, everything was based of a finite amount of pre-sets that you mix and match. And really, the reason we dont get a ton of games jumping on the bandwagon of custom designs is because of complexity.

In a 3D world for instance, there's texturing, UV and bump map, etc all that just for the sake of tweaking the colours or logos on a unit. Well sometimes the developers have one or two ideas... Petroglyph, when doing UAW had this neat idea where you could recolour certain parts of the diffuse texture of a unit, this was used for having the housecolours on the units but it was also used in map editing to be able to individually custom-colour civilian objects like buildings and cars:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6411/0001mss.jpg

and it was really cool. Suddenly instead of making 4 copies of the same car with different colours, you'd simply start with a grey car and change the grey portion to any colour you want, etc.

That goes a long way for versatility in the map making sense, and Petroglyph didn't stop there, you could tweak the hues of terrain textures to have light or dark versions of the same grass, you could take a grass bump map and apply it on a snow texture to get a snowy-grass look, or a hexagon tile bump map on a grey cement texture that you'd recolour pink to get pink cement hexagon tiles, etc, you could edit the specular colour to give your cement a blue shine if you wanted, etc.

The white lady~!

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You wont be able to change the graphics In-Game, but you can change the graphics simply by changing the sprites used. You will also be able to recolour different parts of the units/buildings.

VV

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm I could suggest using a faction specific system where each side can load entirely different graphics. For example Faction 1 loads blue recoloured Faction 2 buildings etc. So every faction can look different, even if they have the same structures internally.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that'll be a function. Keep the suggestions coming!

VV

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While this sounds all good and all...

My question are there any "proof-of-concept"/ demo shots of this project? ;p

and to toss in suggestion, perhaps dynamic lighting?..at least similiar to Diablo2 #Tongue

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no screenshots, as I have no real sprites yet. And progress is currently going real slow, as I can (currently) only work on weekends. I've finished some main functions of the engine though - It reads the INI files correctly, and automatically stores everything in variables. (To avoid extremely long loading times)

What does you mean with dynamic lightning? objects casting shadows dependant on from where the light is, or just movable lights?

VV

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well both? #Tongue

I am assuming you haven't played Diablo 2?
Well compared to TS/RA2 the lighting set up to Diablo 2, which has a finer effect, ie hardly noticeable tiling/cell effect, making lighting seem more organic. Objects such as "units", projectiles etc could emit coloured light..and if need perhaps darken areas.

And of course it would be cool to have dynamic cast shadows...:p

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, cuz I doubt those dynamically cast shadows will be made. But movable lights, sure.

VV

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it legal to bump? On most other forums it's legal to bump after 48 hours, and it have gone approximately 96 hours now. (4 days)

I hope this is a legal bump. I didn't find any topic with rules for this forum (!), please direct me to one if present.

To stay on topic, I'm always working on this. I still need the suggestions, I haven't quit the project yet.

Is there anything that weren't possible in any of the CnC games you wanted? Like... working dropships, trains that doesn't need triggers to move and stop?

VV

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How far have you got on the engine?
What language are you writing it in? Are you writing the whole thing from scratch, or using an engine to start with.
What are you doing for graphics? SDL? OpenGL? DirectX?

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm writing it from scratch.What does you mean by "What are you doing for graphics? SDL? OpenGL? DirectX?"

VV

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kind of GFX renderer are you planning to be used for the engine, OpenGL, SDL, or DirectX?

Other than that, bumping is legal, so long that what you're posting is important #Tongue

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh. Good it's legal to bump if it's important.

I'll probably be using DirectX.

VV

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How much experience do you have with this sort of thing?
It just seems like you don't really have much idea as to what's required in a project like this...
My other questions: What language do you plan to write this in? Have you started any actual coding?
If you haven't even started coding, now's not really the best time to be asking for suggestions.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started coding, I've had experience with these kinds of things, I've been making different games.

Still, I wantz suggestions. That is why I created this topic... have faith in me, please.

VV

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For suggestions I'd advise you to take a look in the HyperPatch suggestions topic in the TS Modding subforum. Wink

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I think we'd all like to see the basic game working first. IMO it'd be better to have set ideas and then build from there. For example you create the engine around your own game, or a remake of another. After that then add features people request etc, or use those features within the game/remake.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valdez wrote:
This is a forum for modding.

If you wanna do enquiries for game developement, you need to go to a higher-level place.

http://www.gamedev.net/

In fact, we've already hosted several attemtps to create RTS game engines here. Nowadays, the only active one is Tiberian Sun Lost Relic which was originally a YR total conversion.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@0warfighter0 - Yeah, I've read most of it... that's a long suggestion list. Thanks, Very Happy
@omegaBolt - True, but suggestions I get now keeps me from stop working.

Weee. More suggestions, please.

EDIT: I'm kinda in need of gfx, and if anyone of you got some time on your hands, contact me via MSN - rasmus_mega@hotmail.com. Obviously you'll be credited.

VV

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE: I have a screenie, as you can see I'm in need of graphics.

VV

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For now just use TD, RA1 or Dune2k graphics.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where can I find those?

VV

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I understood that, but I don't have TD/RA1. (Or dune)
Can you download them for free somewhere? Or will I find another option?

VV

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum