Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Twisted Insurrection Looking For An Additional Mapper!
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [39 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject:  Twisted Insurrection Looking For An Additional Mapper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well...

Twisted Insurrection progress is booming once again, the staff are coming back together and work is picking up. Currently the positions for Voxel artists and 3D artists are filled so we wont be needing anymore of them (mainly cause we don't want styles to clash so we have LKO on Nod structures and daTS on GDI structures).

One thing I'd like to aim for in Twisted Insurrection is a very large variety in maps which is something Tiberian Sun lacked, right now we have some excellent maps and a wide selection, but it never hurts to have more, am I right? Currently we have a few full time mappers such as Me (Aro), Dudeinabox, J4m3sb0nd and Q45 (full time map artists). We also have some guys making some maps along with their other roles like OmegaBolt, Mig Eater, daTS, VEF4 and even Lin Kuei Ominae. When it comes to maps the varied styles are a great thing as it means maps wont be repetetive cause they're not all made by the same artist.

Anyway, lets get to the point!
If you're interested in becoming a full time mapper for Twisted Insurrection, apply here. Please note that you will not just be accepted onto the team unless you have a noticeable talent or a spotless reputation in mapping. Please show your mapping work here and me and the team will discuss bringing you aboard! It would be sweet to reach about 100 maps for Twisted Insurrection's release, not to mention there is another theater coming along soon.

Interested? Post here.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boom. interest.

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im interested, but I think, if I make a map, it will need some fixes, since im really not experienced in ... WW Maps...
Otherwise I got many small ideas (my trigger skills lag, though)

In other words: I would make some, but I since im not really good, I wouldn't mind if you even wouldn't accept me at the team Wink

My greatest strenght are Ini edits, AFAIK...

If needed, I may show a bit up, but actually I never made a 'WW' map Wink

Think of me as Nordos, 'cause Banshee wouldn't rename me

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested, I haven't finished many maps but you can see my work by clicking the link in my sig Wink

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Dudeinabox
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was impressed by your single player maps, have you got any multiplayer maps to show to us?

Crimmy: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I have one 1v1 map that has been WIP for a long time...
I could finish & post it up tomorrow Smile

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If people are interested in becoming a mapper for Twisted Insurrection please post previews in your application rather than "I'll do it" posts. If I'm unaware of your abilities then I'm not going to hire you. Please post previews of what you are capable of mapping wise.

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just wanted to be sure, that you take a look onto it. I will try to make one...

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, here comes few pics of my (WIP) maps that show some things I can do.
I can make nice-looking tiberium patches and infestation, natural cliffs and rivers. I can tune the lightning, both lightposts and global (but haven't
tried to do day-night cycle yet), and ini edit the map. I can handle triggers and taskforces, to certain extent at least.
AI editing in map is something I haven't succesfully done yet, and I'm having troubles with tunnels (couldn't understand that manual editing Confused ).

You can play trough my Treason maps and see them in FinalSun if necessary to see more + I'm trying to finish one map for this weekend Wink

promo1.jpg
 Description:
Tiberium infestation.
 Filesize:  128.21 KB
 Viewed:  9870 Time(s)

promo1.jpg

promo2.jpg
 Description:
Same as above but in ion storm.
 Filesize:  92.2 KB

promo2.jpg

promo3.jpg
 Description:
Ruined city and landscape, still few bland-ish areas due to beign WIP.
 Filesize:  106.29 KB

promo3.jpg

promo4.jpg
 Description:
Random screen (from Treason part III).
 Filesize:  83.68 KB

promo4.jpg

promo5.jpg
 Description:
Snow theater city in dark. (yes I know TI doesn't have snow theatre).
 Filesize:  82.9 KB

promo5.jpg

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this guy deserves the post.

!DarkRose
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah some very good looking maps there #Tongue

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reminds me of the original TS maps. I like your style Wink

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still accepting new mappers. If you would like to apply to become a Mapper for Twisted Insurrection, show me your work here and I'll give you an answer.

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll get myself more introduced to the finalsun program before seeing if I can qualify Smile

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some pictures of a map that I've created. The images have been taken from the editor, so don't mind if for example the swamps are square-like. Hopefully it qualifies Smile

By exalted40000 at 2010-12-12

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad for a first attempt, but (although I'm not one to decide about this) you need more training.

Look at the TI maps, or at some spotlighted maps here for how great maps are done: http://www.tiberiumweb.com/forums/index.php?s=ffb73711e60f6dbe47da47cd5a16cd2d&showforum=55

Tips:
Don't use the automatic cliff making tools, place the cliff pieces one-by-one from the "Terrain/Ground" selector -> Cliffs menu. Make the cliffs look natural and varied, cliffs shouldn't be straight.

Also don't use AutoShore, place the shore pieces one by one just like the cliffs.

Your roads have many errors, there is always a perfectly fitting road connector piece for everything. You just have to find it.

Use more height differences, slopes, etc. in the terrain. Currently your map is filled by the default groundtype, you should use all ground types variedly (Grounds 1-3).

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

are the water placing tool and autoshore tool the same thing?

I'll try harder for next time.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(although I'm not one to decide about this)

I think it's rather clear that he needs to practice mapping a lot more. The buildings you used for the civilian town also belong for the snow theater only, they will appear in wrong palette ingame if you use them in temperate theater.

Quote:
are the water placing tool and autoshore tool the same thing?

No, you can place water, clear ground, sand, rough ground and pavement from the side panel. The editor automatically morphs between different tiles of the same tileset (be it ground, grass, etc.) and if you have AutoLAT enabled from Options, it connects different tilesets with appropriate tiles (for example, how sand turns into clear ground. "Clear" is the standard ground tileset, every other ground tileset has tiles that look like they fade into clear ground). Water is slightly different, as it has an extra shore tileset that, unless you have AutoShore set (which we do not recommend as it tends to muffle up your shores), must be placed individually.

One more thing. Never, ever place Tiberium on slopes, as this causes Internal Errors. To speak the truth, there are Tiberium overlay pieces that can be placed to slopes, but it might be difficult for a beginner to find the correct ones.

You might also want this add-on for FinalSun, it's called Marble Madness, and you can switch between two viewing modes if you have it installed, one that looks like normal FinalSun does, and the other that is useful when you have to check which piece fits together with that piece. To switch between the modes, click on the new icon that appeared in the top bar in your editor.

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
I think it's rather clear that he needs to practice mapping a lot more. The buildings you used for the civilian town also belong for the snow theater only, they will appear in wrong palette ingame if you use them in temperate theater.

are yoou referring to the factory buildings?

Crimsonum wrote:
No, you can place water, clear ground, sand, rough ground and pavement from the side panel. The editor automatically morphs between different tiles of the same tileset (be it ground, grass, etc.) and if you have AutoLAT enabled from Options, it connects different tilesets with appropriate tiles (for example, how sand turns into clear ground. "Clear" is the standard ground tileset, every other ground tileset has tiles that look like they fade into clear ground). Water is slightly different, as it has an extra shore tileset that, unless you have AutoShore set (which we do not recommend as it tends to muffle up your shores), must be placed individually.

Ok, I knew that first part. Tried that water placing without autoshore and I came to conclusion that it might take less trouble but still be effective the same if I first place water with autoshore, and then repair muffles with shore placement.

Otherwise, thanks for the tips and the MM Smile

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
are yoou referring to the factory buildings?

Yes.

Quote:
Tried that water placing without autoshore and I came to conclusion that it might take less trouble but still be effective the same if I first place water with autoshore, and then repair muffles with shore placement.

It actually doesn't take long when placing the shores, when you get used to it. I recommend placing the shores first THEN water.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
I recommend placing the shores first THEN water.

^ This is what I have also done for the last 2½ years. Much easier than placing water first. You can also make more natural and less straight shorelines by placing them manually. With Autoshore the shores just don't look good without massive editing.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The editing effort needed to make autoshore look like a half decent piece of shit is not worth it either. Same as the above guys, lay it out manually.

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Btw, where is the tiberium slope set? though I din't get into internal errors when I playtested the map

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you go to Special / Overlay -> All Overlay, Tiberium overlays 13-20 are always used for slopes. You'll have to look closely which belongs where.

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thannks, though to make it easy I might just put tiberium on flat area and allow it to spread into slopes during the game.

also, how can I take large preview pictures?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thannks, though to make it easy I might just put tiberium on flat area and allow it to spread into slopes during the game.

Exactly how most do it, as it's easier and safer this way (it's not nice to backtrack for one Tiberium overlay on a slope).

ChronoSeth
Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

exalted40000 wrote:
also, how can I take large preview pictures?

AFAIK, most people take several screenshots and paste rhem together. There's a megamap renderer for RA2, but I don't think one was ever made for TS.

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I guess there IS one for TS, since I do see a lot of Megamap pictures in the previews...
Anyway, Im sorry but I cant help mapping since I really suck at it. I needed just for one river over a week o.o

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, there isn't. I don't know the exact way, but I think there is a tutorial posted somewhere.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not even hard to do, just time consuming. You just have to take multiple screenshots of the map and paste them together, so for the sake of you not missing five birthdays, you'd be better off using the highest resolution available to you.
Also, to clear things up: There is no Map Renderer for Tiberian Sun, only Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge.

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hopefully I can edit finalsun's resolution (because for some reason I can't correctly edit TS resolution Sad

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did you try to change the resolution in the SUN.ini?

exalted40000
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I put it on 12800x800, but then when I open the game, there isn't an option to choose resolution 12800x800 and when I select the 800x600, the data in SUN.ini reverts to normal even though I saved the changes

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You dont have to change anything, then. But mind to set the resoultion to a value which your monitor supports, too.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

exalted40000 wrote:
Yes, I put it on 12800x800, but then when I open the game, there isn't an option to choose resolution 12800x800 and when I select the 800x600, the data in SUN.ini reverts to normal even though I saved the changes

You also have to put this Flag under the [Video] section in sun.ini (if it doesn't exist):

AllowHiResModes=yes

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

exalted40000 wrote:
Yes, I put it on 12800x800, but then when I open the game, there isn't an option to choose resolution 12800x800 and...

Try 1280x800.

@Crimson: AFAIK It should work by simply modifying the Width and Height values, although it doesn't show larger resolutions in the menu without that key.

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, that key stretches the menu?!? Gotta test that

Lopunny777
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what do you use for map making..because if i can learn it i can make some VERY good maps..i already have ideas ^^

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TI's map editor is in the included FinalTI folder. Avoid bumping 3 year old topics for such questions in the future though...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [39 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum