Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm
All times are UTC + 0
MLRS walker
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject:  MLRS walker Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just curious what are your thoughts on these guys at there current state?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well... they always reminded me of these guys from Star Wars...

Aside from that I guess it sort of completes the "Walker Series" of GDI Units.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm not fan of his design and every time i use him i feel like his effect is depend on luck...

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always thought it was just an override unit for maps which had Ion Storms or whatever that made it so GDI couldn't use hover tech in TI.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
i'm not fan of his design and every time i use him i feel like his effect is depend on luck...

The reason I always Goliathspam instead of using these silly walkers #Tongue

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Well... they always reminded me of these guys from Star Wars..

Weird, I've never seen that before. It must be where Machine got the idea from.
The SHP is scheduled for a new image anyhow, due-to it not really fitting with the rest of the arsenal.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will the old graphics be released then?  Very Happy

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Aro: Not really that's the first time I've seen that image, IIRC I based it on a wheeled vehicle and then replaced the the wheels with legs.

Anyway, I never really liked the design itself, and working on it felt like a chore, I guess it was because I disliked the idea; considering the hover MLRS is one of my favourite units, and the MLRS mech was a mech just because. So it's nice that you're changing it.

@Atomic_Noodles: It's up to Aro, I have no problems with that.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, now that you've confirmed that you're okay with it, I guess it can be released, once a new image is made, of course.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the MLRS walker destroys everything. I micro my guys to charge straight into the unit as soon as the unit opens fire to try to dodge them deadly rockets and kill the thing ASAP.

It seems kinda small to me.

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Henskelion
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno, I actually really like the MRLS Walker, since it's really unique looking, and can be deadly if used correctly. I don't see why it needs to be changed.

DaRkGlAcEoN
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's a good unit

4StarGeneral wrote:
I CAN USE CAPS TOO, HOW DOES IT FEEL?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just hope it won't be changed into another voxel.
Among all the other things that need to be done, this should be the very last thing on the to-do list, as right now the unit looks and works fine.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks fine, though a bit bland, but I think the weapon needs to be tweaked a bit. At least so that it fires less missiles in total, but which are more accurate and do more damage. Right now the MLRSs are just no good as support units, you have to keep them in the frontline or else they just kill your own troops.

DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Currently MLRS walker are a joke unit after i did a few test runs on AI of course. Your way of balancing by making it hit itself and its allies near it doesn't really balance it.
  It just makes it nearly useless completely. Funds are better spent getting seige infantry then this. I don't want too insult aro and his team but that's what MLRS walker is in its current state.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Feedback huh. It's probably the ugliest GDI unit in TI so far.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a really simple solution too its problem that i didn't feel like mentioning which is just take away its short range capabilities and that should solve pretty much everything.

Maat Himself
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One time someone said the Walker looks like a frog. I agree! =)

But I also agree with Lin, it should be worried about later. But of course that does not mean it HAS to be done later.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i personally have no problem with both voxel and shp as long as it look cool i like it all. but i just only don't like his design, another unit i don't like is Hovee it away make me thing he come from cartoon network...  Laughing

however i know people may hate me but i didn't so impress with GDI Faction in TI [only design] while Nod design look a lot more cool and stun me every time i saw their have some thing new even since i'm GDI fan in C&C universe opposite to TO that i like their GDI design more than Nod.

Last edited by Holy_Master on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
i personally have no problem with both voxel and shp as long as it look cool i like it all. but i just only like his design, another unit i don't like is Hovee it remind away make me thing he come from cartoon network...  Laughing

however i know people may hate me but i didn't so impress with GDI Faction in TI [only design] while Nod design look alot more cool and stun me everytime i saw their have some thing new even since i'm GDI fan in C&C universe opposite to TO that i like their GDI design more than Nod.

Personally took all the words out of my mouth.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see the issue with the Hovvee as well. Not just its tiny appearance, but also its fast, wobly movement makes it appear toy-like. Also to me it feels more like an evolution from the Recon Bike, which makes no sense since that was a Nod unit.

Quadhelix
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine wrote:
Anyway, I never really liked the design itself, and working on it felt like a chore, I guess it was because I disliked the idea; considering the hover MLRS is one of my favourite units, and the MLRS mech was a mech just because. So it's nice that you're changing it.

IMO, comparing the MLRS Walker to the Hover MLRS is like comparing apples to oranges - they are two different units with two different roles.

The Hover MLRS is a mix of anti-aircraft and "short-range artillery"; additionally, one of the Hover MLRS's main features is its ability to hover over normally impassible terrain. The MLRS Walker, on the other hand, is more of a rocket shotgun with relatively heavy armor.

In principle, an army could have both the Hover MLRS and the MLRS Walker without either really interfering in the other's role.

Holy_Master wrote:
i personally have no problem with both voxel and shp as long as it look cool i like it all. but i just only don't like his design, another unit i don't like is Hovee it away make me thing he come from cartoon network...  Laughing

The newer Hov-vee actually looks pretty cool, at least IMO.

Crimsonum wrote:
Also to me it feels more like an evolution from the Recon Bike, which makes no sense since that was a Nod unit.

I suppose that I can't really argue against what something "feels" like, except to say that to me it feels like a reasonable extension of GDI's Hum-vees. Given that GDI has a new anti-infantry vehicle in the form of the Kazuar, it makes some sense for them to optimize their next-generation Hum-vees for more of an anti-vehicle role.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Quadhelix:
I know that very well, I was just pointing why I disliked making/working on this unit.
I guess, the point still stands, it could have been perfectly a tank or a hovercraft, as the weapon system has nothing to do with the chasis.
Though it seems keeping it as a mech shp would be better now.

I had a sort of remake of this unit (it wasn't done for TI though, just a modelling for fun/time wasting activity); dunno if I've ever showed it to Aro. I'll check if I still have a backup somewhere that includes it. IIRC it was textured using TW textures so it looked like the latest RoO WIPs before I stopped working on it.
Textured somewhat similarly to this (Sorry, I have no other GDI unit image uploaded to my dropbox, and I'm currently at work).

EDIT: Found it on a CD; I didn't remember that it was already animated.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BUMP...
It's been a week... I guess I should have posted it as a new post instead of an edit.

DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually scratch what i said about MLRS walker being a  joke earlier. Figured out how too use the unit.Finally after some much testing. Some more is still needed but i get a general idea how too use MLRS without it destroying my entire army.

Edit: It's not that hard after I tested it on how too use MLRS walkers just takes abit getting used too. Can't believe the answer was in front me the whole time -_-. So MLRS if changing is needed is it's voxel  and taking away its short range capabilities making it only mid range - midlong range.

Edit2: Frankly from what I can see MLRS is best used by being kept on the front lines all you need too do is support the MLRS by not letting the annoying stuff get close. If you can do that MLRS can be one unit you don't want too see coming too your base. Since from what i can see its among the best at cracking a base open.

Last edited by DeathlyRose on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 am; edited 3 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Machine:
The unit looks nice, even though the design doesn't fit that well to GDI. It looks a bit too much like an animal, which is more something for Nods organic design.

hint: if your post is the last one, you can copy the text, delete the post, then create a new one with the old text and the additional new \Edit text.
This way you don't have to double post and the forum shows it as a new post.

@DeathlyRose: i actually don't understand how people hit their own units with it. It has a minimumrange of 4, so if you don't force fire on the ground which makes all missiles shoot randomly in all directions, then this unit can hit perfectly fine an 7x7 area around the target unit.

@Crimmy: how about raising the minimumrange to 8? this way at the closest range, there is between the unit and the 7x7 hit area a 4 cell wide unharmed area in which front line units can be placed.
So if your front isn't bigger than 4 units behind each other, you can then use the mlrs walker as a safe support unit behind your own lines.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually its quite easy too hit your own units since it has short range capabilities. As long as any unit get close enough.The MLRS Walker will bombard everything around it. So the safe range goes from 4 too 0. That is it's main issue at hand. As for the balance just take out its short - mid range to mid range - long range. Not as long as the seige units but long enough. But As for stated problem i remember reading that it was intentionally put in for balance when all he needed too do was make it mid -long range only.Not too make fun of you guys or anything but that balance would only get gutted in reality for the military. Real life or not, No real military is going too have a mech that can unknowningly bombard everything around it and maybe killing all its allies in the process.

Edit: Although its not a joke unit the fact that it can hit itself and its allies near it's surroundings for balance pretty much makes it a waste a space. Yes it's very powerful but that single sticking point pretty much kills its worth. that and the fact you can barely use it in battle for one reason or another.

Edit2: Like I said above I just feel its really bad you guys put in the thing that makes the MLRS Walker hit itself for balance. It doesn't matter what you do as long as it keeps doing that it will still be a worthless unit too many people. Since in real battle it is just too annoying and costly too keep an eye on it constantly so it doesn't hit itself due to the fact of enemies getting too close.

Quadhelix
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine wrote:
I know that very well, I was just pointing why I disliked making/working on this unit.
I guess I can understand that.

My only contrary response is that one of the things that I like about Twisted Insurrection is the fact that it reimagines the Tiberium universe almost from the ground up - e.g., Nod's bikes are replaced with light tanks, GDI's Titan mechs are replaced with heavy tanks, the Hover MLRS gave way to the MLRS mech, etc. That, however, is just my opinion and I completely understand how someone could feel differently.

Machine wrote:
I guess, the point still stands, it could have been perfectly a tank or a hovercraft, as the weapon system has nothing to do with the chasis.
One idea that I had is that mech units should be immune to landmines (not feasible in the TS engine) and Tiberium Veins because you can make their feet solid plates of armor.

Of course, I'm not sure how useful that is for your fire support vehicle instead of your main battle tank, but it's an idea.

Machine wrote:

EDIT: Found it on a CD; I didn't remember that it was already animated.
There are a lot of elements to this that I like, but I can't shake the impression that the legs should be thicker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum