Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 am
All times are UTC + 0
Menu Freezes
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Karpet
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:  Menu Freezes
Subject description: Win 8
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, on Windows 8 when I try to play without windowed, I am not able to because if I click on skirmish or campaign or something, the menu freezes and I can't see what I click, if anything. I tried to put in the Win8 TS fix ddraw and stuff, and the ddraw is deleted, and even when I try windowed mode, it is not enjoyable. Moving the mouse lags the entire game. DTA fixed this somehow so you could look there for a solution.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro uses (or has used) Win8 and TI and found a fix. Better wait for him to reply.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DTA's current public version uses a much newer version of the Launcher than TI's current public version, and the newer Launcher version contains the fix for Windows 8. TI's next public version will utilize the latest Launcher version too, so it will be fixed in the future.

There are workarounds for making the Windows 8 fix work with the outdated Launcher though, but I'll leave sharing those to Aro because I'm not feeling like typing them on this phone #Tongue

Karpet
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess all of us can say that Windows 8 kind of sucks (A lot of folders are read-only for some odd reason)

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Karpet wrote:
I guess all of us can say that Windows 8 kind of sucks (A lot of folders are read-only for some odd reason)

That is true #Tongue

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't seen any special read-only folders on Windows 8 (compared to Windows 7 at least), but it does suck how they keep messing with DirectDraw (the graphics API used by old 2D games like Tiberian Sun) in every new Windows version, considering it has been deprecated for a decade (meaning they should have little reason for changing it so much that old games get broken, even with compatibility modes).

The whole Metro thing is abysmal for mouse users though, but they're slowly addressing it. The 8.1 update already made it better with more options (like boot to desktop instead of the Start Screen), and 8.1 Update 1 will again fix some of the issues at least if some of the leaks are true. Of course, unless you want to utilize a touch screen you can avoid all that trouble by just staying with Windows 7 for now #Tongue

@Karpet: You can make a copy of game.dat and rename it to game.exe. By running that directly you can skip the Launcher, which means that the Win8fix ddraw.dll doesn't get erased. IIRC in that case you need to do run the program with the -WIN parameter to get it running in Windowed mode though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum